Friday, April 4, 2008

What's Your Name?


I have a really bad memory when it comes to remembering people's names. And it's been a real challenge to me as Pete and I have taken up our ministry roles here in Beechworth because we've met SO MANY new people, and they remember us (hey- they've only got TWO new names to remember), but I seem to forget them... I DO remember faces, but frequently forget names...


And it's got me thinking... what's in a name? I've been thinking about names a lot over recent months, as I get used to my own name change. I've changed from my previous surname of 'Fry' to my now married surname of McMaster, and I've found myself thinking about the meaning of names more and more over recent months. My parents had a reason for naming me Ainsley Margaret. They once told me that they heard the name 'Ainsley' and really liked it, so if I was a girl then that's what they would call me... however, I recall Mum once saying that if I was a boy then they were in trouble because they'd only chosen a girls name!). And they chose the middle name 'Margaret' as it is my Mum's middle name and one of dad's sisters' middle names as well. And overall, I think they did a pretty good job in choosing my name. 'Ainsley' is of Scottish origin and simply means 'my own meadow' and my middle name 'Margaret' is of Greek origin and means 'pearl'... LOL... so does that mean I am a pearl in my own meadow? Or maybe that I'll discover a pearl in my own meadow? Lol... Mmm... I think it's a very appropriate name for me, considering that I really like pearl jewellery, and I received a very special gift of a pearl necklace that belonged to my grandmother, Mamma, as we affectionately called her, and I treasure it dearly and wear it with pride. I also really enjoy being on my own at times, and have a love for all things outdoors- the beach, the bush, camping, fishing, swimming, walking, so i think my name serves me well.


But, as a women walking along this crazy journey of life, I often go through phases in my life where I find myself searching... searching to discover who I am... searching to discover where I fit in... searching to discover who I am in Christ... and the journey of searching seems to me to be a life-long one. So, at this latest point in my rediscovery of who i am, I've spent many moments asking God to reveal who I truly am, and who He wants me to be... and over and over again these two words appear... "BEAUTIFUL WARRIOR"... Beautiful Warrior... that's who I am in Christ. God sees me as a Beautiful Warrior, called and set apart for His purposes, serving Him wherever, whenever and however I can at all times.


And so, that's where I'll leave this blog... and I want to challenge you to consider and seek and search and pray about who you are, and as how Christ sees you... what name has God given to you? In what ways are you already living this out? In what ways do you need to change so you can live up to your name?


Blessings,

Beautiful Warrior xxoo

2 comments:

Kylie said...

Great thoughts.....seems we are going along a similar journey...I am also wondering what God would change my name to...what does He see me as. My thoughts have been going along the lines of the fact that in the Bible God changed people's names....Saul changed to Paul, Sarai changed to Sarah, Jacob changed to Israel and all for different reasons. It's all very interesting and I'm glad that God has a very different and unique name for us each. By the way Kylie means 'boomerang' in Aboriginal, I guess that means you will never get rid of me....I keep coming back!
It's been good to read your blog...keep up the good work....
Love you xxx

Catherine said...

Hey..
This blog reminded me of Easter Camp where they were talking about the people in the bible whose names were changed...
Your blog really got me thinking and there was an activity we did at Easter Camp about dying and being born again in Christ and the leader who prayed with us gave us a name that we could take with us. Mine was boldness.. which isnt a name really but it has stuck with me. So yeah.. I think its important to have an identity in Jesus Christ!!!
Keep blogging!!!
Its interesting...

Love Catherine